XXIII

(NaNoWriMo - Day 10)


“David,” continued the weaver solemnly but kindly, “I know you love her.” David started at this. Not even he had dared to put it so bluntly to himself, but now the words were spoken he could not deny their truth.

“But why do you love her? Is it to make her happy or yourself? You need to work out the answer to that before you can show her real love. And why do you want her to have a chance to forgive you? To make yourself feel better or for her own sake? Think about this and you’ll know what to do.”

David stopped holding back his tears and let them flow. He wanted to argue but knew silence was his best response right now.

After some time, he ventured the question that was burdening him: “Who are you? How do you know so much about us?”

“I have many names,” answered the weaver. “Susan knew me by the name Aslan in another world that is long dead. In your world, I have a name you know well. Here, I have hidden my identity, but now the time has come to reveal myself.”

David starred at him, for as he spoke he began to change form. At first, it seemed he was growing. His feathers faded from yellow to golden-brown flecked with white and his wings filled out, betraying a mighty wingspan. All the time, he was ever-growing till he stood half the height of David. His feet became strong golden talons and his beak curved into a fierce yellow-based point. His voice became deeper; rich and beautiful. He was an eagle – both handsome and terrifying. David cowered before him.

“Peace, my son,” comforted the bird. David felt a rush of joy and wonder and love. Emboldened, he stood up but spoke not a word.

“My name here is Inri, Lord of the heavens, of all Crestfaulen, from the … to … and the lands beyond. I have returned!”

“My Lord!” exclaimed David. “I did not recognise you. I have been a fool, have I not? Have I failed you?”

“David, you are a good man. I have told you already; your intentions are good. Yes you have failed, as all do. But you recognise your failure, and that is all I desire. Repentance and commitment is all I ever ask from my followers. I have covered your failings. And I have been ever with you. Guiding you and directing you to follow the right path. Often you have listened.”

“You were the one who showed me where Ratel had fallen in the pit, were you not?” Sudden understanding broke over Davids face. He had not made the connection that it was the same weaver, since the first one never spoke.

“I was,” answered the eagle. “I have been guiding you throughout this adventure. Even when you could not see me, I was there. I was with you when you told Susan the truth about your ancestry, as you struggled between your own pride and the truth. I was there when you left the group, thinking you might never be reconciled. I was there in the cave, when Susan found you.”

“You’re the eagle! You chased the guinea-pig into the cave so Susan would find us!”

“I am. And was with you in the woods, when the guinea-pig led you to this world. I was there when you decided to use the ring, when you decided to take Susan home from the party, when you first met her. I was with you when your mother died, giving you strength to endure the pain. I was there when your sister was born, as your family came to terms with her illness. I have always been with you and will never leave you.”

“My Lord!” David bowed his head. “I am not worthy.”

“No, you are not. But knowing you are not, that is when you are.”

“Be at peace now, my son. Think on what I have said to you. And when you know your heart, return to the group. I have other work to do.”

With that, the eagle left David to his own thoughts, and made his way to the group who had been sitting deliberating about the seed until the moment they saw from afar the weaver suddenly transform into an eagle before their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<div style="text-align: center;"> I</div>

Susan Pevensie woke with a start. She'd been dreaming. As consciousness edged it's way into her foggy mind, she remembered where ...